Oriental Hospital of Kyunghee University Medical Center (Herb Medical Center)
Kyunghee University was the first university in Korea to create the College of Oriental Medicine in 1960 and to open the affiliated oriental medicine clinic in 1971. As the leader of oriental medicine practiced in Korea, the Oriental Medicine Clinic affiliated with the College of Oriental Medicine at Kyunghee University is equipped with over 300 sickbeds and 140 professional doctors and oriental medical practitioners from each medical field. The clinic handles over 400,000 outpatients and inpatients each year. Its state-of-the-art medical facilities and Oriental Medical Ingredient Research Center demonstrate its commitment to the advancement of oriental medicine as a science and its standardization. Check your physical constitution and health conditions with your family members at Kyunghee Oriental Medicine Clinic.
Subway: Get off at Hoegi Station on Subway Line 1 (linking Euijeongbu to Incheon and Suwon). Walk to Kyunghee Clinic for ten minutes (or 3 minutes by the neighborhood bus).
Buses: Nos. 120, 147, 261, 1222 -> Get off at Hwigyeong Market
Seoul Yangnyeongsi and Museum of Herb Medicin
Museum of Oriental Medicine: dedicated to illustrating the origins, history, principal mechanisms, and prominent doctors and books of oriental medicine as well as the types and specific effects of diverse oriental medical ingredients, this huge museum consists of an exhibition hall where over 500 medical ingredients and 400 artifacts related to oriental medicine are exhibited; a storage facility that preserves artifacts; a souvenir shop; an oriental medicine experience room; and a multipurpose education room.
Subway: Jegi-dong Station on Subway Line
Buses: (Main Route) Nos. 105, 147, 201, 260, 261, 262, 270, 271, 420, 720
(Local Line) Nos. 0013, 1147, 2002-01, 2112, 2219, 2221, 2233
(Regional Line) No. 9205
Jangan-dong, Dapsimni Antique Art Street
On the way to Cheonho Bridge past the Majang-dong Junction, there is a retail mall trading antiques and artistic goods. The area is a hidden jewel of Dongdaemun-gu. This antique street, extending between Dapsimni-4 and -5-dongs, is a living ‘museum of traditions’. The area contains a total of 147 stores that deal in antique furniture and other objects and living items, unlike Insa-dong, which deals in high-end and luxurious artistic goods. The price range of the antiques sold in this area is much wider than one might imagine, and you can find a truly good deal. The 5,000-won lamp oil containers, 20,000-won rice-cake pattern makers, 30,000-won ceramic pots, and 50,000-won doors are some of the most favored items to decorate homes. Visit the street and be inspired to decorate your home with the goods of the finest craftsmanship.
Subway: Get off at Shindap Station on Subway Line 2 and take the downtown bus to Dongbu Market (takes about 10 minutes). Get off at Dapsimni Station on Subway Line 5 and exit through Gate No. 4 (toward the Urban Railway Service). Walk for five minutes. Or, exit through Gate No. 1 and walk for two minutes.
The downstream part of Cheonggyecheon is home to the resurrected natural environment: its marshy areas provide habitats for a variety of species of fish, amphibians, birds, and such aquatic plants as Gaetbeodeul, Maejagi, and Kkotchangpo. Sukeuryeong and eulalia decorate the banks of Cheonggyecheon in their lushness. The Chungju Apple Tree Road, complete with 116 apple trees donated by Chungju City, extends for 300 meters or so between Gosanja Bridge and Shindap Steel Bridge, telling the passersby changes in seasons. You will feel naturally inspired and impressed by the strong will to life evident in these natural creatures decorating the newly born area of Cheonggyecheon. Make a reservation for a spot in the Tour Course by Walking, led by the Municipal Facility Management Corps of Seoul, in advance in order to participate in this program. Course I provides an opportunity to take a tour around the upstream part of Cheonggyecheon, while Course II takes you through the mid- and downstream parts.
Subway: If you want to walk from Gosanja Bridge, exit through Gate No. 3 at Yongdu Station on Subway Line 2.
Buses: (Main Route) Nos. 130, 303, 300, 370, 145, 721, 300, 303, 370, 721
(Local Line) Nos. 1125, 1227, 2015, 2112, 0013
(Regional Line) Nos. 9403, 9301
Hongneung Therapeutic Forest is the first of its kind to be formed in Korea. It was established along with the Forestry Testing Center in 1922. As a forest associated with the National Forestry Science Research Center, Hongneung Therapeutic Forest helps to collect and manage a variety of plant genetic resources in both Korea and from abroad in a systematic fashion, contributing to the advancement in the studies of plants and the increase in the amount of plant genetic resources secured. Hongneung Therapeutic Forest and the Forest Science Hall are open to the general public on Sundays and to the student groups during the weekdays free of charge. The forest provides an invaluable opportunity to learn more about nature and the environment and to experience the importance of preserving forests. Because it accepts only a limited number of people a day, you must book a visit beforehand.
Subway: In the direction of Kyunghee University from Hoegi Station on Subway Line 1, or, exit Gate No. 3 at Korea University Station on Subway Line 6
How to get here: Walk three blocks from Cheongnyangni Station toward Cheongnyangni Telephone Service / Hongneung.
Yeonghwiwon, Sunginwon, The Great King Sejong Memorial Hall
Yeonghuiwon, the gravesite of Queen Sunheon Gwibi Eom (1854 ~ 1911), who was the second wife of King Gojong of Joseon, is located at 205
Cheongryangri Dong, Dongdaemun Gu. The graves of Queen Eom and her grandson, Lee Jin, called ‘Sunginwon’ are located over a vast area of
land (16,642 pyong), The site was selected Historical Relic 361 in October, 1991, as it housed various stone monuments and artifacts, including
Muninseok, Mangjuseok, Jangmyeongdeung, and Jeongjagak.
Queen Eom, who became queen after Queen Myeongseong Min was murdered by Japanese soldiers, gave birth to the prince who later went on to become King Yeongchin. Queen Eom took a great interest in new education and contributed significantly to the advancement of modern education in Korea through such efforts as establishing Jinmyeong Girls’ School and so forth. The mortuary tablet of Queen Eom is sealed inside Chilgung (located in Gungjeong Dong, Jongno Gu) that houses the mortuary tablets of seven concubines of Joseon kings who gave births to the princes that later went on to become kings
Buses: Nos. 1215, 1226 -> Get off at King Sejong the Great Memorial Hall
King Sejong the Great Memorial Hall: the hall, which opened on the Hangul Day in 1973, commemorates the various cultural and political achievements of King Sejong and provides opportunities for visitors to experience and study part of that era’s history. The two-storey memorial hall has a total building area of 2,475㎡ and is located over an area of 18,500㎡. It consists of four exhibition rooms, each featuring the biography, hangul (King Sejong’s invention), Sejong’s achievements in traditional Korean music, and Sejong’s contribution to science, as well as a lecture hall and a reading room. The ‘Biography’ exhibition room shows the achievements of Emperor Sejong during his reign of 32 years over 14 strips of drawings. The ‘Hangul’ exhibition room displays works of literature relating to the development of hangul that were written either during or after King Sejong’s reign. It also displays the works of literature King Sejong looked up to invent hunminjeongeum, rubbed copies of the letters of foreign languages, and other artifacts showing mechanization of hangul. The ‘Science’ exhibition room houses press-related artifacts that revitalized the press and publication industry during King Sejong’s reign and other inventions, such as the pluviometer, sundial, and the water clock. It also displays various astronomical instruments, maps, and oriental medicine ingredients. The ‘Korean Music’ exhibition room shows various musical instruments, clothes of musicians and dancers, and Jinyeoncheongdo that were developed during King Sejong’s reign. Other treasures stored at the hall include Neungeomgyeongeonhae (Treasure No. 763), Mongsanhwasangbeobeo Concise with Korean Annotations (Treasure No. 769), Geumganggyeongsamgahae (Treasure No. 772-(1)), Boggagcheonsangyeolcha-bunyajido (Treasure No. 837), and Supyo (Treasure No. 838). 12 stone monuments excavated from Guyeongreung, including ‘Sejong Daewang Shindobi’, were designated as Tangible Current Asset No. 42 of Seoul on March 15, 2002.
Buses: Nos. 1215, 1226 -> Get off at King Sejong the Great Memorial H